alice

alice
“Curiouser and curiouser…”

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Off to the Harbour City!

Finally. The wait is over. We know where we are headed for the next two weeks…and they certainly didn’t disappoint with building up the suspense!

As I sat in seminar today, I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about that elusive form we’ve been after since September- nor could I stop myself from dropping not-so-subtle verbal cues to our practicum prof that we really wanted to see where we were heading. He finally gave into our pleas, and distributed the forms to the elated cheers of the class.  It wasn’t until the silence, signaling that all names had been called, that I realized I didn’t have a form in my hands.  I raced up to see Betty and Phil in the office, and they told me that they were about 80% sure where I was going, but they hadn’t gotten the official confirmation yet- so they would e-mail me once they knew. Phil consoled me by giving me a chocolate and telling me that I was the last student in the program to be placed- so at least I felt special to have been left to the last minute!

Back to class I went, dejected that I didn’t have a pretty placement form in my hands. Less than one minute later, Phil was at the door telling me to come back up- as they’d received the confirmation e-mail about 30 seconds after I’d headed back downstairs.  I headed back up to the office, and left holding that form I'd been waiting days to read...
And with that, I’m off to Wellington Secondary School in Nanaimo next week!

I chose Nanaimo because I have quite a few friends that live there (and offered me a place to stay), it’s not too far away from home, and I actually quite like the city! I wouldn’t mind living there for a couple years after finishing the program, although from what I’ve heard the prospects of getting a job there are much like Victoria- along the lines of impossible.

At any case, I’m excited to explore this school and meet the teachers, students and administrators- this will be my first real taste of high school from the other side of the desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment