alice

alice
“Curiouser and curiouser…”

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

584 Assignment 2: Kurzweil 3000

In keeping with my attempts to try out new multimedia options on the web, I have gone with UtellStory for this assignment- which is a fairly user-friendly platform to make slideshows that can incorporate photos, audio, and text. I found it really easy to use, so I'm happy to have yet another option for creating work (and letting my students know about as well)!

On the whole, my impression of Kurzweil is great- it does have a lot of fantastic tools for students of any level. It look a lot of playing around to navigate my way around finding/using certain tools, but I can certainly see how- once a student learns how to use it- it could help with some of the most common hurdles our students face when trying to access and understand material. While I was TOC-ing last week, I asked one of the Special Ed teachers at my school if Kurzweil was accessible on many school computers- and how many students used it. As I sort of expected, he said that they only have Kurzweil on a few computers because of a few key factors: the cost of buying it, the training of staff on how to use it, and then the training of students. He said that it's certainly a great idea in theory, but not always feasible in terms of budget and the time it takes to train and make it a simple yet successful tool. This is the story for so many fantastic tools that we would love to supply to students- but is just not always possible.


He said that, rather than Kurzweil- the Google Chrome extensions are much easier to access and use, so that is what he uses with students. I was then happy to see that we were discussing them in the class webinar this week, as they seem like a great (and free) tool that any student can easily access and learn how to use. Hooray for free tools! :)  

PS. My use of song for the slideshow was partly because I was thinking of songs with "universe" in the title (keeping with the theme of UDL), partly because I wanted a mellow tune in the background, and purely because any form of a Beatles song is always wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment